Today, 7 June 2022 at 17:00 CET, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence, François Bausch, will participate as a speaker in the worldwide virtual launch of the 2022 World Climate and Security Report.
The World Climate and Security Report is a study produced by the Expert Group of the International Military Council on Climate and Security (IMCCS), which is an international network of think tanks, militaries and national security communities from around the world which seeks to anticipate, analyse and address the security risks and threats related to climate change.
The 2022 World Climate and Security Report addresses major security risks and threats associated with climate change and includes 3 components reflecting the priorities in the NATO Climate Change and Security Action Plan, adopted in 2021:
- climate change mitigation needs and opportunities for militaries
- climate security risk snapshots of the Eastern Mediterranean, the Sahel, and the Balkans
- climate adaptation strategies for the security sector
The 2022 launch event of today will focus on the first of these components and is entitled: "Decarbonized Defense: The Need for Clean Military Power in the Age of Climate Change".
Besides François Bausch, other speakers include:
- David van Weel, NATO Assistant Secretary General for Emerging Security Challenges
- Patrick Verkooijen, CEO, Global Center for Adaptation
- The Honorable Sherri Goodman, Secretary General, IMCCS
- General Tom Middendorp (Ret), Chair, IMCCS
The media, civil society and the general public are invited to take part in the event as listeners.
Interested press organisations can register for this webinar via the following link: Webinar Registration
Released by the Directorate of Defence